Wednesday, April 28

Restored to Life (Sorta)

Posted by Shelly Holder

Life is still crazy. I am also still crazy and broken. But the Muse might be coming back to life (somewhat) and so in amazement and wonderment I thought I would post about what miracle created such an inspiring (half) spark.

Ekphrastic poems are based on art (usually paintings, but sometimes photographs and sculpture), and in my opinion, are as much to enhance the painting and understanding of both works than a description of the painting. The latter is reactionary, static, after the fact. The former, and the most successful examples of ekphrastic poems, all capture and further define the emotions of the artwork, drawing on and expanding them to encompass the meaning that the poet wants to convey. These poems are symbiotic, complementary, equally weighty and/or visionary.

We are doing this form in class at the moment, and I have been dreading doing my own because the examples of art available in class were to the professor's preferences-- landscapes, Impressionists, calender images. Beautiful, but nothing I want to write about.

So I put off writing my own (for homework).

But then the deadline came nigh, and I had to write SOMETHING, and frantically I Googled "paintings," resigned to another Van Gogh or Monet.

And I discovered Bonni Reid.



Organica, Egg Tempera and Oil on Panel, 16 x 20 inches, 2008 
Bygone Beloved, Acrylic on Panel, 8 x 10 inches, 2008
Heart Stings, Egg Tempera and Oil on Panel, 10 x 13 inches, 2008 
Ahhhhh, the Muse was happy with these. 
Write Now: 
What I'm listening to: More library. More finals. More sadness. More disturbing quiet. 
What I want most: about two years, or three, or a lifetime, without Mother Nature. That would be nice. Reallllllllllly nice. Yep, yep.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stunning. Did you write a poem about these paintings? Will you share any?

Shelly Holder said...

I did write several poems about these, but unfortunately my policy is not to share because a lot of journals will not accept the poem afterwards, considering it already "published." I rarely post any of my poetry, more so my fiction, but even still not much.