Wednesday, February 10

Six Word Memoir

Posted by Shelly Holder

I'm currently taking a class in poetry through my college this semester. I really enjoy it so far, and have been exposed to some really fun assignments already (more later). Today I wanted to highlight a new emerging genre that my professor exposed us to.

Six Word Memoirs are blurred genres that combine the distilled language of poetry and flash fiction with biographical elements. The premise to to describe your entire life, in six carefully chosen words.

This was the brain-child of Smith magazine, who has recently published "Not Quite What I Was Expecting: Six-Word Memoirs by Writers Famous and Obscure" and the sequel "It All Changed In An Instant: More Six-Word Memoirs by Writers Famous and Obscure".

The genre is fascinating because you can experiment with visualization as well, which I am all about. This video on YouTube shows what I mean...



My professor assigned the class to come up with two of these memoir sentences, but you'll find if you try it that they are ridiculously addictive. I have a ton that I could share, but I thought I would just emphasis the one that I think is best-- and best representative of my whole life and life philosophy. So, Shelly Holder's six-word memoir:

English major
seeks better cardboard box.

4 comments:

Barbara Techel said...

Wow, six word memoirs- now that is intriguing. I don't know if I could do it... I tend to go on and go on and on... ha!

Barbara Techel
Award winning author of the Frankie the Walk ‘N Roll Dog Book Series
My passion is bringing a positive face and voice to animals with disabilities
Frankie is Official Mascot for National Disabled Pets Day and
Wisconsin Pet Hall of Fame Companion Dog
http://www.joyfulpaws.com
http://www.frankiethewalknrolldog.blogspot.com

LeMeesh said...

I love this idea and have been working on some (while I'm supposed to be working....Ha!).

Dennis Sidney Martin said...

I have one:
Prolific writer, as yet undiscovered, unread

Shelly Holder said...

haha i like that one. I thought of another for me, inspired by yours--

young author: published sometime this century