Friday, June 12

I have to WORK to be in this business?!?!?!

Posted by Shelly Holder

I know right? Shocker. You have to write to be a writer, you have to work to be an author, and you have to sit your butt down to even think about getting close to a book deal. Sigh. Apparently, my Muse and I missed that memo the, oh .... first 3,867 times it came around?

So I was browsing around the interwebs, bored because my roommate is gone and I don't have to keep up the semblance that I'm a civilized creature (*waves* Hi, Michelle! I swear, the room will be clean by the time you get back...I'll even do dishes and laundry for you) and stumbled across Devon Monk's LJ where she is hosting a search for beta readers and crit partners. I've been thinking about this a lot, trying to figure out how to keep improving my writing (it's an excellent method of procrastination- strategic plan your way out of writing), buying books and joining online communities and do various time-suck things. I thought a conference might be the way to go (which it still is) but I do really want the sort of writing relationship that a beta/ CP gives. I read about the professionals that have them and whine that I want one tooooooooo...

So I signed up. I sent a little intro to a few gals and told them to come here.

And then I went "OMGOODNESS WHAT DID I JUST DO?"

Because of course, I took a break, haven't updated the blogs (any of them, sigh *epicfail*) and now I'm scrambling to pull the I'm-a-professional-and-a-big-girl-panties on. Not to mention that many of the beta searchers out there were looking to exchange sample chapters. I had to laugh hysterically and slightly manically at that one. "Ahaha, WHAT chapters? ahaha.... "

Sigh. Not my best professional moment. (*headdesk, pause, headdesk, headdesk, headdesk, headdesk*)

So I'm off to the trenches. I need to update, update, update, write a little, take a break to think.. nah forget that, more writing, more updating, more writing...

Right Now:
What I'm listening to: "Poison" by Alkaline Trio
What I want most: oof. let's skip this today.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

LOL. I know what you mean: I am beginning to doubt whether I should have signed up as a beta reader.

Ah well, what's done is done.

I am still up for giving it a try if you are.

Kat