Wednesday, June 10

I Did It/ I Didn't Do It

Posted by Shelly Holder

Well... good news, I entered the ROD contest for this month.

Bad news, I forgot about the time change, and I got it in by midnight east coast, but the comment popped up in mountain. Which meant I had a whole 'nother hour to tweek with the stupid thing! Sigh. (*headdesk*)

That is rapidly becoming something like a personal motto. Can I get it copyrighted?

Anyways, I'm rather proud that I got anything in. I was looking at the picture the entire week leading up to the deadline, but nothing was coming in from the Muse. I think she went on vacation but forgot to leave a notice on the office door. Anyways, I was frustrated by the girl's expression. I found it totally blank, and I couldn't figure out why. There was no determination, no anger, no pain, nothing... It was an emotional blank screen. Not even her eyes seemed to see anything.

Then I was listening to Alkaline Trio one night, and the lyrics seemed to jump right up at me.

"The Poison"
It's not just a pain
A pain in my back
That laughs in my face
My face every night all the poison that took my lungs
That keeps me from feeling warm

But how could a rooftop view in London
Look just the same as one in Brooklyn?
Nothing has changed but now I fight with the words
And I can't see so good

And there's gotta be more
Much more than this
I got pages of dreams they're covered in piss
And a poison that took my soul
It keeps me from feeling anything

And how could a rooftop view in London
Look just the same as one in Brooklyn?
Nothing has changed but now I fight with the words
And I can't see so good
And now I fight with the words
And now I fight with the words
Now I fight with the words

And how could a rooftop view in London
Look just the same as one in Brooklyn?
Nothing has changed but now I fight with the words
And I can't see so good
And I can't see so good (I can't see so good)
And I can't see so good (I can't see so good)
And I can't see so good

And the Muse popped up from somewhere, and said, "She's blind!"

What I tried to do was show that the main character was blind without outright coming out and saying it, but I'm not sure if I achieved that. Perhaps if I had that extra hour...lol. Anyways, please comment and tell me what you think! And enjoy my ROD entry!

***

"You came."
The words, harsh and unforgiving, came from the woman's left. She continued further into the room, staring blankly forward, as rage hung heavy and red against her skin.
"Do you know why I called you here?" the voice hissed.
No emotion passed across the woman's expression. Her eternal face was undisturbed by lines around the eyes.
"You betrayed us." A man emerged out into the open through loud footsteps against the floor. "It's not just that you stabbed me behind my back! It's not just that! It's that you betrayed us- all of us! We worked for you-- and you left, you bitch! You left-- and for what? Some kind of peace? It doesn't exist!"
"I couldn't fight anymore. Now I fight with words." Her words were low, sliding gently into space.
She heard his rushing staccato steps."You could have stayed! You could have helped us! And you left anyways."
"What could I do?" The woman did not look around at his nearness. "Exactly. You know that I had no other choice."
"Bah! You're not fighting. You're running away. Afraid."
"No. Never," she said, and her voice was tinted with something like regret.
"It doesn't matter! I could have killed you on that rooftop in London! Just the same in Brooklyn! But it's got to be this way! I will have revenge on you."
He slashed fiercely at tender flesh. The woman pressed a hand to her upper arm, but continued to stare sightlessly forward as the blade descended again.


***

Right Now:
What I'm listening to: TV
What I want most:

0 comments: