Tuesday, June 9

Wow... Why Didn't I Think of that Before?

Posted by Shelly Holder

I've been thinking long and hard about having my revenge, and what to do about it all-- getting out there, getting known, getting better so I can get published. I've basically devoted the summer to this, as I'm taking a single creative writing class this summer session. Which means I have a lot of time to think about writer-y things. A lot of time to write, which instead I spend browsing online or reading books. To be fair, it's writer-y procrastination-- online writing communities, author's blog, books on editing and publishing and "building a platform." Yes, I'm really reading a book like that. But still there's something missing.

The refrain running through my head is "stepping up your game."

So, today, it hit me. Conferences.

I've never been to a writer's conference, although I've poured over the advertisements in Writer's Digest and other magazines since the day I first bought them. I really wanted to go on an Alaskan cruise one, that featured an author I enjoyed, but my parents turned me down. I think I might have been 15 or 16 at the time, and I couldn't really travel on my own. Sigh. I'm still mourning that one (*a moment of silence for the dearly departed moment...*)

I hear conferences talked about all the time in other author's blogs. I think, "huh, that's really cool, I wish I could do that." But I never really thought why I couldn't. I just couldn't. And so now, I'm changing that. My limitations are only the ones that I set on myself.

I'm searching for a conference, not too long, maybe a day or two, that will still let me in at this late date. Hopefully, in So. Cal area. I'm even willing to go to Vegas or San Fran, but would like to keep within driving distance. Anybody know of something good?

Right Now:
What I'm listening to: Norah Jones " Those Sweet Words"
What I want most: More summer. I have too many things to do.

0 comments: