Tuesday, July 6

Southern Vortex

Posted by Shelly Holder

I thought to inform you all of one of the reasons I have not been posting much lately. See, there's this new author I just discovered, and well . . . I might (just might, mind) have disappeared to read (and re-read, and then re-read again) her books. At last count, I think I might have been up to 4 complete read-throughs. And there are two books in the series.

Yes, I know. No, you don't need to point out how obsessive I am. Yes, I am aware it's not normal behavior. No, I don't need a shrink. Thank you, I'm fine.

I call it research. Friends and family cry bullsh*t. But the series is really good, and has a main character- Gin Blanco- that really appeals to me, in the same way Ilona Andrews' Kate Daniels appeals. What can I say- an assassin with a love for cooking really hits all my soft spots.

Because the description from Jennifer Estep's website outmatches anything I could write about the books, I'll just leave you with this:


My name is Gin, and I kill people.


They call me the Spi­der. I’m the most feared assas­sin in the South—when I’m not busy at the Pork Pit cook­ing up the best bar­be­cue in Ash­land. As a Stone ele­men­tal, I can hear every­thing from the whis­pers of the gravel beneath my feet to the vibra­tions of the soar­ing Appalachian Moun­tains above me. My Ice magic also comes in handy for mak­ing the occa­sional knife. But I don’t use my pow­ers on the job unless I absolutely have to. Call it pro­fes­sional pride.

Now that a ruth­less Air ele­men­tal has double-crossed me and killed my han­dler, I’m out for revenge. And I’ll exter­mi­nate any­one who gets in my way—good or bad. I may look hot, but I’m still one of the bad guys. Which is why I’m in trou­ble, since irre­sistibly rugged Detec­tive Dono­van Caine has agreed to help me. The last thing this cold­hearted killer needs when I’m bat­tling a magic more pow­er­ful than my own is a dis­trac­tion … espe­cially when Dono­van wants me dead just as much as the enemy.

Oh, yeah. *shiver*

I won't post the blurb for the 2nd book, because it gives away a few spoilers, but I promise- if you read the first, you WILL read the second. heheheh.

I CANNOT wait until Sept 28th when the 3rd in the series (Venom) comes out. *eyes calender maliciously*

Write Now:
What I'm listening to: Shuffle on iTunes has popped up with ... "Bendicion" by Zeri. I dunno how I got that. Or where. Is this Spanish? Hmmmmm.
What I want: Venom. Definitely Venom. Le sigh.

0 comments: