Monday, September 14

Yep, THIS is Why I Write

Posted by Shelly Holder

Last night I had one of the most frustrating clash of wills against the universe, in the form of a recalcitrant dryer that would not accept my quarters, and which did not dry my clothes after I had forced the $1.50 down its mechanical throat. It was one of those moments that I could have sobbed in anger. Not just cry, but sob.
After my epic 30 minute battle, I retreated to my dorm room, thinking to hide under the covers and not come out until morning, or possibly later. But then, I grabbed a piece of paper and wrote it all out in the form of a short story.
I can't describe the feeling of peace that I get every time I do this. Even writing this post continues that process of healing and cleansing and reviving.
A few weeks ago, I read the original Greek definition of "daemon," meaning (paraphrased) something that accompanies unceasingly. I have heard the phrase "exercise your demons" associated with writing for many years, but only when I understand the original intent did I appreciate the saying, and connect it with my own motivations for writing.
I write to get rid of my "demons," those things that refuse to leave me during the day and that cling sickening to me at night.
I write for my health and sanity, to release my body from a different sort of disease.
I write to articulate the world to myself; to articulate something that I have felt but not understood, even within the confines of my own mind.

I write because I must.
I write because I love to write.
I write because writing defines me, and I define me in writing.

I write, because I am a writer.

Right Now:
What I'm listening to: "Lola" by Superbus (a great French band!)
What I want most: not to have to go to class

3 comments:

BLUERAIN said...

I can relate to your post on so many levels. I also write to fight my "demons" because to me once I write about whatever problem I have, I can now step back and look at it in a third person view. Sometimes we suffer from a "problem" because our own mind cannot possibly solve it, and I believe that this is why we express ourselves. excellent post!

PS: Do you speak french?

Shelly Holder said...

Yes, a little. I am taking classes at college.

Anonymous said...

Yes it is a fantasy