Thursday, July 23

Random Offerings

Posted by Shelly Holder

I have had the chance lately to experience, or at least guess at what a full time writer's life would be like. This past week or so of summer I have been busy finishing up my final portfolio for my creative writing class (all you all probably know) and I have been logging in solid 6, 7 hours of writing. Various things, of course, but still.

Anyways, it definitely gives me a glimpse at the requirements of full time writing. It's hard, hard work. My brain hits mush right around 3 pm. I consume copious amounts of caffeine, and my skin is a horrible mess because of it. My eyes get dry, my wrists are in danger of carper tunnel, and my back is killing me. Not to mention a spreading derriere and thighs.

But you know what? I WANT that life. I want it so bad my mouth dries up and my palms sweat. The possibilities, the brief snatches that I can imagine, are so enticing. I can recognize some of the dangers-- everything I'm mentioned above, the self-discipline issues, the reclusiveness, the lack of exercise issues... and none of it really matters. Because I want it. I want it so badly. If I believed that I could get away with it, I would skip getting a day job and go straight from college to full-time.

But I can't get away with that. Can you imagine how scary that would be??? Oh, my. There are horrifying images of past-due bills and an empty refrigerator dancing through my head. So it's several years of free-lance for me, thank you very much. I'm too much of a German girl to like dieting. Forced or otherwise.

Right Now:
What I'm listening to: "Forever" by Chris Brown
What I want most: good books to read

0 comments: