Saturday, October 30

Freelance= Non-Fiction?

Posted by Shelly Holder

Another pet peeve of mine. Why do self-help writer's magazines and articles and bloggers ALWAYS assume that the freelance writer is a journalist?

I simply don't understand. Freelance BY definition is multiple venues, so how come the modus operandi has changed to be multiple non-fiction MARKETS?

No, I am not interested in breaking into a cat magazine when I have no cats. Yes, maybe some crazy dude is challenging himself to query his way through the entire Writer's Digest Freelance Market (true story, but I have lost the link. Sorry! Later edit to come) but I am still a freelancer, am I not? AM I NOT?

Wheeeeeeew, and deep breath.

Self-employed. Frequent changes between publishers. Creation of works first then the query. Sounds like me, right? RIGHT?

I AM FREELANCE TOO! GIVE US POETRY AND PROSE PEOPLE SOME LOVE TOO! IT IS NOT ALL ABOUT NON-FICTION.

And if you think otherwise, you are clearly more knowledgeable than me, so go ahead. Enlighten me. WHY SHOULDN'T THERE BE AN ARTICLE ON FREELANCING THE SMALL PRESSES? HUH? HUH?

Write Now:
What I'm listening to: Nuthin, calming down for bed (lol, we'll see how this goes)
What I want most: sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeepppp!

0 comments: